Monday, June 4, 2012

My trip, thus far.

Well, I am alive and in Alaska! We had quite the trip getting up here.
We left on Saturday May 12th at about 10am. My Grandpa Was coming down with a pretty bad cold, but we left anyway. We stopped at Walmart in Quilceda and got some medicine and hit the road. That night we made it to Boston Bar, BC. The truck was making it, but slowly and I had a bad feeling it wouldn't make it. Anyway the next day we took a road trip to Hells Gate air tram. That was awesome..and scary! Easy day trip from the Seattle area, I recommend it :)
We stayed one more night in Boston Bar and then were on the road again. Here is where the fun begins :) we made it to Ashcroft, BC and the truck just quit working. Thankfully we had cell service and called AAA for a tow to Cache Creek where they could look at the truck. Distributor was bad and we would be on the road the following day. We made it all the way to 70 Mile House, BC..which actually isn't that far and broke down again. Grama was fed up at this point. We called AAA again and were towed to 100 Mile House where there was a Ford dealer to look at the truck more in depth. We got my Grampa into a medical clinic and got him some antibiotics since he was still sick, and they decided they were getting a new truck. And I was so glad. For one, they deserve it and second I don't think we would have made it the rest of the way. I will say one thing, we got some of the best treatment in Canada. The people there took such great care of us each time we had a problem. It was very heartwarming to see people that caring still exist in the world :)
So they ended up buying a new truck and we were off. Grampa loves his new truck by the way.
Fast forward to Dawson Creek, BC where Great Grama Ruby and I went to a medical clinic, I had a sinus infection and she had a upper chest thing, we got our antibiotics, from the nicest pharmacist. I won't forget him.
Now it's Monday June 4th and we are at our home base for the month of Soldotna, Alaska. Sean and my Dad flew into Anchorage on the 25th and we were able to do a lot of fun things..but of course time flies when you're having fun! We went Halibut fishing out of Homer and between us all were able to seal up 106# of fresh caught Alaskan Halibut. Yum! Sean had a great time doing that. Saying goodbye yesterday was heartbreaking. Mostly because Silas had the biggest sad face, with tears quietly streaming and he just shattered my heart. Lol. So we did what anyone does when they are sad. We got ice cream at the Tastee Freeze. On the way there I spotted Bristol Palin's truck, would have liked to meet her, but wasnt going to sit and stalk her lol.
Sean will be back in 11 days and I can't wait :D The salmon run should just be hitting hard at that time and I hope we can fill the freezer!

Today, we rest. :) And I've got my bible study to catch up on!
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment