Friday, August 31, 2012

Kitchen Remodel

When we bought our house in 2006 I dont know if we realized all the little things that we would have to fix along the way. The people before us didnt take very good care of this house, and we are getting to pay for that. Literally. haha. Well, it is also part of making it into the home we want/need for our family. The housing market is so bad right now and we are so upside down in our house, we either short sale or ride it out. So, we are riding it out(with our stupid high interest and high house payment! grr haha). So far, we have fixed the carpet, added the spare room, done some painting, but the most important thing I need to get to, is the kitchen. I spend so much time here, I might as well put money into making it work the way a kitchen should!
First, my dishwasher is in the most horrible place. I have to unload everything onto the counter, close my dishwasher and then put everything away. Now, I dont want this post to come off as me being ungrateful for what I have, because I am thankful I have a house of my own, a kitchen of my own, food, a dishwasher among other things.
Anyway, so we made a game plan. We are going to re-arrange our kitchen by moving our dishwasher where our fridge is, which is out of the way, but next to the sink, move our fridge next to our stove, and put new cabinets in. You can get cabinets at Lowes that are unfinished, all you have to do is stain them for actually pretty cheap. We did that in our Pantry. So, we are going to take that approach, stain them in a rich "Kona" color, and call it good. The picture below is not my kitchen, but is the closest to the color we are picking. And I will not be getting any new applainces, maybe when my kids are alot older..but right now the ones I have are just fine! :)


My brother tried to help me paint my current cabinets to a dark brown and ended up painting all over my wall. Grr..I was thankful for the help, but frustrated at the same time. haha. But, Im just leaving it for the time being. No point in changing/painting the whole kitchen since we are going to be ripping them all out anyway! Right?! Right. I cant wait, its going to be work, the kids will be sent to Papa and Grama's house and Sean and I will have to hammer it out. Im already dreaming of when its done!! :D

Im so glad its Friday AND its a three day weekend. My kids have been pretty fussy this week and Im stuck at home with decaf coffee!!
We will just leave it at that ;-) Enjoy the holiday weekend!

2 comments:

  1. My heart skipped a beat when I saw that picture of the kitchen and I thought 'wow, how'd I miss the big re-model!?' haha. But that is great you are getting started. I'm a little jealous you get to do these home-improvement projects. Our house was pretty turn-key when we bought it. So it's very nice, and I admit to being mostly an instant gratification kind of gal - but I still think it's so special when you can do the work yourself and have it the way you want. I come from a family of do-it-yourself-ers and fixer-upers so I'm kind of itching to do a home project here sometime. Probably when the kids are a little older though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I will make sure to be blogging/facebooking about our progress, Im excited to turn my non-functional kitchen into something so much better! :) Just the process itself its making me a bit nervous..where am I going to put all my stuff?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete