Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Whats for Dinner?

Elk...Stew? I decided to go off on my own and try creating something different for dinner. I went along the lines of a stew, but added a couple other things I have never had in a stew before. Although, I'm sure there are recipes out there that call for these simple ingredients I added.

Firstly, my brother in law gave me a 50 dollar target gift card for Christmas, with it I bought myself an enamel coated dutch oven. I'm in love.

Back to the stew,
I started in my pan with 2 tablespoons of oil. I then added my stew meat and browned it. Then I added two cups of beef broth, followed by chopped carrots, celery, onions and diced mushrooms. I set my burner on low and let it simmer. About an hour later I added a can of diced tomatoes and a packet of beefy onion soup mix by lipton. I let it simmer for another hour before adding a small can of tomato paste and a tablespoon of chopped garlic. About an hour before I wanted to eat dinner I added some gold potatoes and a splash or two of milk, once those were done in time to eat. I ate mine with a small dollop of sour cream stirred in, Siara had hers with gold fish crackers. :) Sean isn't home yet so will see what he thinks, its nothing to spectacular but it was a nice change from your regular beef stew, Well besides the fact that I used elk meat. ;) I'm sure it would taste the same with beef as they don't actually have too much of a taste difference.



No comments:

Post a Comment